Navigating Homeownership: 5 Tips for First-Time Owners
One of the best things about Sunbridge is that there’s a home for every family. Whether you’re looking to downsize after an empty nest, need room to grow, or just starting your journey, you’ll find what you’re looking for in Sunbridge.
For first-time homebuyers, Sunbridge is special. With so many homes and plans to choose from, we’re dedicated to helping you find your perfect place to suit your lifestyle and family. Our welcoming community is a great place to plant your roots.
The flip side: The idea of owning and maintaining an entire property can be overwhelming and stressful. To ease your mind, we’ve outlined these tips to feel more prepared for the process and make those first years in your first home first-rate.
- Get to know your neighbors: Getting to know your neighbors is an excellent way to build a sense of community and feel more connected to the place where you live. They may be able to tell you about Sunbridge’s community events, as well as recommend restaurants and other local stores. Chatting up your neighbors can also enhance security in the area: when you know and trust the people who live around you, you’re more likely to look out for each other and keep an eye on each other’s property.
- Make room in your monthly budget for home repairs: While you might not use it every month, it’s a good idea to set aside some money monthly for home repairs. Buying a new home in Sunbridge generally means a warranty that will take care of many issues, but eventually those fixes will be up to you. With a cushion of savings specifically for home maintenance and repairs, those costly expenses won’t feel so daunting.
- Learn the lingo of your homeowner’s insurance policy: Find a cozy chair and get comfortable with the homeowner’s insurance plan you pay into each month. Now that the dust has settled on your closing and you can look at the policy with fresh eyes, review each paragraph and jot down any questions you might have for your agent.
- Dig in to your landscaping plan: Each home in Sunbridge is made for enjoyment of the outdoors. Now that you’re officially moved in, having a plan for what your landscaping will look like in each season is a good idea. You should get to know what plants are in your yard and how to care for them properly to keep them – and your home – looking their best. Click here to learn more about the Native Landscaping efforts in Sunbridge.
- If you live in the Weslyn Park neighborhood and have a love for gardening, you might want to get reserve a plot in the community garden! This can be a great way to tend plants that might not be a fit for your home’s landscaping in a dedicated space. Click here for more information.
- Maximize your home’s efficiency by following a home maintenance schedule: While your new home in Sunbridge is designed to be both efficient and environmentally friendly, you’ll still need to keep up with annual, quarterly and monthly maintenance to keep it functioning at its peak. A home checklist can help you stay organized with tasks you’ll need to complete and when, like changing HVAC filters, making appliance repairs, flushing tub and sink drains, inspecting electrical connections and testing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. By keeping up with these tasks, you’ll ensure your home stays as efficient and eco-friendly as it was designed to be.
Your home is a special place where you’ll make long-lasting memories with family, friends, and neighbors. Armed with these tips, you’ll be prepared as you begin your homeownership journey to enjoy both your home and community for years to come.